Hello, my name is Shannon Didlick and I work alongside your medical & therapy team to support you in returning Home From Hospital. The NHS and voluntary sector are working together to make sure people who have an unplanned admission to hospital have the support they need. I visit the Newton Abbot Hospital wards regularly and will visit you to see if I can support you in any way.
You can contact me directly (see details on this page), or you can ask a member of staff, social worker, GP, friend or relative to contact us on your behalf.
While being in hospital, if you are concerned or worried about being alone and coping when you return home, please let me know. If your family, friend, carer or relative has concerns about you being discharged from hospital, they are very welcome to contact me or talk to a member of staff on the ward.
Our Home from Hospital service is available to support vulnerable people to regain where possible the level of independence they enjoyed prior to their hospital stay and to boost confidence and physical and mental wellbeing.
Areas of Support
- To have your heating turned on, refresh your bed if needed, arrange small items of shopping on discharge.
- We actively encourage you to take part in social activities. We can give you information on local events, activities, clubs, lunches, coffee mornings, carer support, Tai Chi sessions & many more.
- We have wellbeing coordinators who can offer a wellbeing programme to support you in achieving your goals if this is appropriate for you.
- We are able to liaise with health and social care professionals on your behalf.
- We provide Welfare benefits assessments to check entitlement to benefits and support to complete benefit forms eg: Attendance Allowance, PIP, Council Tax Benefit, Pension Credit etc.
- Signpost/refer to other organisations who can support you as well. We can support you in finding a meal delivery service, advocacy, home help service, care options, nail cutting service, sitting service, care/nursing home lists, housing options.
- We can offer face to face, telephone or email support for your family, relative, carer, friend as well.
- A contact for you following discharge.
- Assist with finances/paperwork through our Information and Advice service
- Liaise with a wide range of other services on your behalf
The voluntary sector Home From Hospital service is unable to provide assistance with personal care, lifting clients, dressing wounds or counselling.